[webkit-dev] Cherry-Pick Bug Comments

Evan Martin evan at chromium.org
Thu May 26 16:05:28 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:
> I get a lot of these:
> Revision r86028 cherry-picked into qtwebkit-2.2 with commit 7e1bab1
> <http://gitorious.org/webkit/qtwebkit/commit/7e1bab1>
> as bug mail.  Probably because I'm CC'd on a zillion bugs (and actually read
> my bug mail).
>
> This is probably the pot calling the kettle black, since I wrote many of the
> bots which comment daily on bugs...
> ...but, I'm wondering if we can do better?
> Would it better serve the cherry-picker's needs if we instead had a separate
> server to track revision -> cherry-picks?  Or bug ids -> cherry-picks? (Like
> how the EWS bots store their status on queues.webkit.org and display it in
> little bubbles on bugs.webkit.org w/o commenting on the bugs.)
>
> I'm strongly supportive of all clients of webkit storing all of their
> bug-related data in bugs.webkit.org.  It's better than the alternative (lots
> of data buried in old Radars, or Chromium bugs, etc.)
> But perhaps someone has a good idea how to reduce unnecessary bugmail?

I've seen some bug trackers reduce email by allowing you to comment
without sending email.  In effect you're just attaching metadata to
the bug without notifying everyone about it.

However, the comments left by the EWS are intended for the bug authors
and so they probably should continue sending mail.