[webkit-dev] Criteria for becoming a "core" builder

Xan Lopez xan at gnome.org
Wed Mar 2 12:59:04 PST 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:
> IMO the core list should be *descriptive* rather than *prescriptive*.
> If a bot is regularly green, it should be core. If its not, it should
> be non-core.  We should not remove bots we "don't like", or add bots
> we "hope to stay green".

While this is pretty reasonably I must note that keeping bots green is
substantially more difficult if they are not core, introducing a
chicken-egg factor in your theory: green bots should (or are) core,
but it's complex to be green most of the time without being core.
That's why I think that adding bots to the core set because you "hope
they'll stay green" is not as unreasonable as it might sound.

Not that I have any perfect solution for this, but perhaps the only
criteria for being in the list should be whether people are actively
trying to keep a bot green. At least we could accept their intentions
at face value at first, and only remove them from core if they fail to
keep up (which we already do).

Xan