[webkit-dev] Adding ENABLE_BATTERY_STATUS to WebCore

Anssi Kostiainen anssi.kostiainen at nokia.com
Wed Jun 15 08:27:58 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 15.6.2011, at 17.24, ext Ryosuke Niwa wrote:

> 2011/6/15 권기홍 <kihong.kwon at samsung.com>
> I wanted to let you know that I plan to add battery status event support to WebCore.
>
> The Battery Status Event is a new feature that is defined by W3C (http://www.w3.org/TR/battery-status)
>
> It seems like the working draft has a couple of TODOs now.  Is the spec sufficiently stable?  Are other browser vendors implementing this feature?

As noted by Kihong, the latest draft addresses the TODOs:

  http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/system-info/battery-status.html

The W3C Device APIs Working Group intends to hit Last Call i.e. stable draft with the above version at the end of this month.

On 15.6.2011, at 12.41, ext Holger Freyther wrote:

> I am not participating in any W3C group so this might or might have been
> discussed but this specification seems to be over simplified, specially if you
> compare it what is provided by the power supply class of the Linux kernel[1].

The topic was, indeed, discussed in the group. We tried a more complex approach, but it did not fly. I can give you some pointers off the list if you're interested in delving into that.

> What happens if you have more than one battery? Many modern devices have
> backup batteries, e.g. to keep the RTC. What is the upgrade path for this
> event to support applications that want to have a more detailed view (e.g. a
> dashboard in a server farm that also wants to query the UPS)?

The spec is intentionally designed to abstract away such details. A typical web app developer should not be concerned about the complexities of multiple batteries a device may have.

Further spec specific feedback is welcome, preferably to public-device-apis ML:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/

-Anssi