[webkit-dev] Pages from the wiki vanished from google search results

Matt Falkenhagen falken at chromium.org
Sun Jun 5 19:20:53 PDT 2011

> Since a couple of days ago (when?), our trac/wiki is not appearing as
> relevant on google search results anymore.
>
> I guess google blacklisted the site because of some sort of spam or a
> redirect against the rules.
>
> Does anyone know if something changed recently? Does someone has a
> google webmaster tools account to check?
>
> A few examples:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=webkit+team+%22Here+is+the+key+for+each%22
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Qt+Port+of+WebKit+%22List+of+all+QtWebKit+wiki+pages%22

(Retrying to post this.)

I had noticed this too and asked about it internally. It turns out
webkit.org was (is?) returning 403 errors to googlebot. This caused
the pages to be lost. However, it is still returning content on
https:// addresses, so those are now starting to be picked up as you
can now see in the Google searches above.