[webkit-dev] No getters for iconURL/title/body in Notification.idl

John Gregg johnnyg at google.com
Fri Jul 1 11:17:22 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Xan Lopez <xan at gnome.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are adding all the Notification related objects to the GTK+ DOM
> bindings, and also adding the necessary APIs to WebKitGTK+ to interact
> with the UA. One thing we have noticed is that although the
> constructors for the Notification objects have the three data
> parameters mentioned in the subject, the spec we follow
> (
> http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/desktop-notifications/api-specification
> ,
> as I understand it) does not provide attributes for those in the
> Notification interface. Since those are needed by the UA to actually
> show the notification in a meaningful way, we wonder if that's an
> oversight or a design decision. It seems the way Chromium solves this
> is by doing a custom class with those getters, but since we already
> have pretty complete DOM bindings we'd like our low-level signals and
> APIs to use those instead of reimplementing them (or, at best,
> subclassing to add the needed functionality).
>
> Any comments?
>
> Xan

The data parameters are certainly needed by the UA to show the notification,
but it seems like you're suggesting they need to be exposed as part of the
Notification API (i.e., to web pages).  I don't see why that would be
necessary.

WebCore has a Notification object in C++ which does provide access to the
fields, and which is passed up through the NotificationPresenter interface
implemented in the ChromeClient.  That's how Chromium does it -- would it
not work for GTK?

 -John