[webkit-dev] Using Visual Studio 2010 for Apple's Windows WebKit port

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Mon Jan 31 12:30:35 PST 2011

Hi all-

We'd like to switch Apple's Windows WebKit port to build with Visual Studio 2010 sometime in the next 6-8 months, and to drop support for building with Visual Studio 2005 at the same time.

The biggest consequence of this will be that anyone wishing to build Apple's Windows port will have to switch from VS2005/VC++ Express 2005 to VS2010 or VC++ Express 2010. This change should not affect applications that use WebKit, as we don't pass memory ownership across the WebKit API boundary (i.e., mallocing memory inside WebKit for the application to free later, or vice-versa).

I wanted to send this email as a heads-up for Windows developers. People working on the Cairo/libcurl/CFLite port, which shares project files with Apple's port, need to be especially aware of this change, since it will require converting our .vcproj/.vsprops files to the VS2010 format.

Please let me (and the list) know if this change will cause you trouble, and if there's something we can do to make the transition easier. You can also comment in <http://webkit.org/b/53445>, which tracks this effort. Thanks!

-Adam