[webkit-dev] Hunspell based spellchecker

Ryan Leavengood leavengood at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:23:18 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Fabrizio Machado
<fabrizio.machado123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This would rely on a spelling engine but, as qt has no spell checker,
> Hunspell integration to WebCore seems appealing.
>
> I was headed in this direction when I found this thread and I wonder if you
> are still pursuing this.
>
> Can you tell me if it is a worthwhile pursuit, or if you had problems?  I'm
> interested in continuing, but give me a "heads up" if you were blocked for
> some reason.

For what it is worth, the approach outlined by Hajime would also be
useful for the Haiku port I am working on. I was already considering
porting Hunspell to Haiku and making use of it in the Haiku port, but
if multiple ports could benefit all the better.

It seems like the TextCheckerClient approach is reasonable if it is
architected in the same way as EditorClient and friends. The Hunspell
based TextChecker could live in WebCore and link with Hunspell and
would only be compiled and used by ports which need it. There would
still need to be a TextCheckerClient in WebCoreSupport in WebKit to
call to the TextCheckerHunspell or whatever in WebCore. Maybe this
still isn't the right architecture but I don't think it is impossible
to implement this in a way which matches other uses in WebKit.

Ryan