[webkit-dev] libxml2 "override encoding" support

Patrick Gansterer paroga at paroga.com
Wed Jan 5 08:38:43 PST 2011

Darin Adler:

> On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:07 AM, Patrick Gansterer wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason why we can't pass the "raw" data to libxml2?
>
> Because libxml2 does its own encoding detection which is not even close to what’s specified in HTML5, and supports far fewer encodings. If you make a test suite you will see.

Can you point me to the place of the XML encoding rules? After a short look into the spec I didn't find something which applies to XML input encoding.
AFAIK it's possible to teach libxml2 additional encodings.

> On the other hand, you could probably make a path that lets libxml2 do the decoding for the most common encodings when specified in a way that we know libxml2 detects correctly, after doing some testing to see if it handles everything right.

That's something I'd like to do, but I need some time when I can do it. ;-) My first step was to improve the performance of libxml2 -> WebKit.

- Patrick