[webkit-dev] libxml2 "override encoding" support

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Jan 5 08:12:01 PST 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:07 AM, Patrick Gansterer wrote:

> Is there a reason why we can't pass the "raw" data to libxml2?

Because libxml2 does its own encoding detection which is not even close to what’s specified in HTML5, and supports far fewer encodings. If you make a test suite you will see.

On the other hand, you could probably make a path that lets libxml2 do the decoding for the most common encodings when specified in a way that we know libxml2 detects correctly, after doing some testing to see if it handles everything right.

    -- Darin