[webkit-dev] Handling of feature dependencies

Benjamin ikipou at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:58:21 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:

> Obviously many "devices" have already shipped with "full" copies of
> WebKit.  If you have a very low-memory/low-power device (more than a
> cell phone or a TV or a car or something that would run Qt -- all of
> these have numerous shipping example devices using WebKit), then
> WebKit is probably not what you want anyway. :)

There are a few people using QtWebKit on insanely constrained hardware where
there is simply not enough ram. The use cases are usually for simple html
(wikipedia reader, epub, etc).

The developers who did that usually hack WebKit themself for the release.
The WebKit on the device is rarely updated anyway.

I agree with the argument already mentioned, this is not something that
needs to be actively supported. The needs for most of those devices can be
supported by the existing flag or by a branch.

Benjamin