[webkit-dev] WebKit branch to support multiple VMs (e.g., Dart)

Vijay Menon vsm at google.com
Mon Dec 5 13:06:43 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:

> Looking at http://www.webkit.org/projects/goals.html, I see:
> Goals
> ….
> Hackability
> To make rapid progress possible, we try to keep the code relatively easy
> to understand….
>
> Non-Goals
> ….
> WebKit is an engineering project not a science project.For new features
> to be adopted into WebKit, we strongly prefer for the technology or at
> least the use case for it to be proven.
>
> It sounds like you're proposing a change to the goals of the WebKit
> project -- namely, to use a branch in the WebKit project as a substrate for
> experiments with new technologies, including new technologies that might
> negatively impact hackability. Is that right?

Hi Geoff,

I don't think we're inconsistent with the goals.  I'm reading "adopted into
WebKit" to mean checked into WebKit trunk.  That's not what we're trying to
do right now.  We're creating a branch in order to demonstrate that it's
useful and that it does not negatively impact hackability or performance.

Are there guidelines as to what is appropriate for a branch?

Cheers,

Vijay