[webkit-dev] lots of red in the tree.

Jarred Nicholls jarred at sencha.com
Tue Aug 30 10:55:55 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 1:52 PM, David Levin <levin at chromium.org> wrote:

> It means that I'm much more likely to cause regressions because I miss new
> test failures caused by my changes among the 12 to 62 failures
> already occurring on the OS X bots.1

Yeah it was wigging me out this morning.

> I think there are a few solutions to the current situation:
>
> 1. Live with it. All of the red and green reminds us of the festive winter
> holidays.

presents!

>     Downside: More regressions get in as nobody notices them much even if
> they try to be careful.
>     Upside: Requires no more extra work, so it is quick to do!
>
> 2. Get folks working on every red test.

Was thinkin' about diving head first into this.

>     Downside: May not be able to get folks to drop what they are doing and
> work on them.
>     Upside: More stable code, easier to work with, etc.
>
> 3. Add them to skipped and file bugs.

Good first step.  Some of the tests are flaky though - I'll get different
results on subsequent runs.

>     Downside: Not having the tree red may lower the urgency and having them
> in skipped list may mean that folks just ignore them.
>     Upside: We'll catch regressions more quickly and perhaps stop the
> current decent which it seems like we've been proceeding on.
>
> 4. Your idea!
>
> What do other folks think?
>
> Dave

*Sencha*
Jarred Nicholls, Senior Software Architect
@jarrednicholls
<http://twitter.com/jarrednicholls>