[webkit-dev] WebCL Release

Tasneem Brutch - Samsung t.brutch at sisa.samsung.com
Wed Aug 24 15:20:17 PDT 2011

Khronos WebCL is not yet a specification, and the WebCL API has not yet
been standardized.  The WebCL members are currently discussing the
security and interoperability issues in the WebCL Working Group.
Samsung would like to introduce a WebCL patch at this time, to follow
the ongoing specification activity in the Khronos WebCL working group.

WebCL would not be enabled in the browser by default, and users will
have the choice to enable it in the browser.

The WebGL security concerns previously raised, related to the following
aspects:

1) Cross domain image access  - timed loop attack.

2) Issues related to general hardening.

mandating CORS (Cross Origin Resource Sharing) for video, images and
audio, and servers have to grant cross domain access to media resources.

Item 2) was addressed by the WebGL working group, through ARB_ROBUSTNESS
extensions, which provide additional protection being mandated.  The new
robustness specification limits the side-effects of a GPU reset after a
Denial of Service attack.  In addition the ANGLE shader validator was
improved.

In the short term, browser vendors would maintain white and black lists,
so that the compromised system can have WebGL disabled until mitigation
is developed.  In the longer term, GPUs would provide increasingly
robust security and tasking, to allow GPU to become a first-class
computing platform alongside CPU.

As the WebCL standardization effort progresses, the WebCL API would be
defined with security as the highest priority, with provisions for both
short term, and longer term security and robustness solutions, similar
to the approach taken by the WebGL working group.

Regards,

Tasneem Brutch

Chair WebCL Working Group

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
<mailto:webkit-dev%40lists.webkit.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bwebkit-dev%5D%2
0WebCL%20Release&In-Reply-To=%3C9A9CE4E9-38EE-446A-8940-5CC0C21C008D%40a
pple.com%3E>
Tue Jul 5 10:53:19 PDT 2011