[webkit-dev] OSX 64 bit plugin support not ready

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Tue Apr 26 11:23:21 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-26, at 05:11, Alan Swartz wrote:

> That's good to know.  It's not the support of the Cocoa event model and CoreGraphics that appears broken, it's that the code that checks these options appears to be compiled out by the NP_NO_CARBON #define for 64 bit builds in PlugInViewMac.mm.
>
> With the current code, I don't see how any NPAPI plug-ins could work on OSX on 64-bit builds.

It's worth noting that what Kevin stated applies to Netscape plug-ins loaded via the Mac port of WebKit.  The Qt port of WebKit uses a different implementation of the Netscape plug-in API than the Mac port.  My reading of the Qt NPAPI implementation brings me to a similar conclusion to that which you reached: when NP_NO_CARBON is not defined the code in PluginViewMac.mm will not allow any  plug-ins to be loaded.  It's also worth noting that there does not appear to be any code in PluginViewMac.mm to deal with the Cocoa event model.  This suggests that there is a non-trivial amount of work required in order for it to support plug-ins on 64-bit Mac OS X.

- Mark