[webkit-dev] OSX 64 bit plugin support not ready

Alan Swartz alan_swartz at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 11:46:24 PDT 2011

I'm working in the WebKit sources that comes down with Qt 4.7.3

I was trying to get the Adobe Square 64 bit flash plug-in (beta) to work in any
of the examples (currently I'm trying examples/webkit/fancybrowser)

While stepping through code, I found the following in
src/3rdparty/webkit/WebCore/plugins/mac/PluginViewMac.mm:

bool PluginView::platformStart()
   // Gracefully handle unsupported drawing or event models. We can do this
    // now since the drawing and event model can only be set during NPP_New.
#ifndef NP_NO_CARBON
    NPBool eventModelSupported;
    if (getValueStatic(NPNVariable(NPNVsupportsCarbonBool + m_eventModel),
&eventModelSupported) != NPERR_NO_ERROR
            || !eventModelSupported) {
#endif
        m_status = PluginStatusCanNotLoadPlugin;
        LOG(Plugins, "Plug-in '%s' uses unsupported event model %s",
                m_plugin->name().utf8().data(),
prettyNameForEventModel(m_eventModel));
        returnfalse;
#ifndef NP_NO_CARBON
    }
#endif

Since NP_NO_CARBON is defined for 64 bit builds, the above code will set
m_status to PluginStatusCanNotLoadPlugin and return false.

Looking around some more, it turns out much of the code in this file is not
compiled if NP_NO_CARBON is defined.  This leads me to believe that the version
of WebKit that comes down with Qt 4.7.3 is not ready for OSX 64 bit plugins.

I am new to the WebKit community so there is a lot I don't know about resources,
development, source control, etc...
Be gentle.

So here are my questions:

1)  Is the analysis correct?  (i.e. 64 bit plugins not supported on OSX in this
WebKit branch)
2)  How can I find out if this is being worked on? or if there are workarounds?

Thanks,
Alan