[webkit-dev] Platform LayoutTests are out of control

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Apr 20 22:41:36 PDT 2011

Hi Brent,

In a past thread, I noted that we could do a couple of things to reduce
platform-specific results, and the overall size of layout test results.  In
order of increasing difficulty:

* Convert pixel tests to dumpAsText tests when pixel output is unnecessary
(merely requires adding a command to the test file)
* Avoid printing text onscreen in pixel tests unless critical to the tests
-- use comments in the code instead
* Convert tests to reftests

These got general support, but no one actively interested in going through
our existing tests to see where they could be applied.  Would you be
interested in helping organize such an effort?  :)

PK