[webkit-dev] Dropping support for WML?

Joe Mason jmason at rim.com
Wed Apr 13 17:15:19 PDT 2011

Blackberry needs to continue to support WML, but we are using our own (legacy) code as a plugin, so removing it from webkit is mostly fine with us.  We just use two pieces of the WML code, to deal with the different loading model required by WML:

In FrameLoader::shouldReload:

    // All WML decks are supposed to be reloaded, even within the same URL fragment
    if (frameContainsWMLContent(m_frame))
        return true;

In FrameLoader::loadItem:

    // All WML decks should go through the real load mechanism, not the scroll-to-anchor code
    // FIXME: Why do WML decks have this different behavior?
    // Are WML decks incompatible with HTML5 pushState/replaceState which require inter-document history navigations?
    // Should this new API be disabled for WML pages, or does WML need to update their mechanism to act like normal loads?
    // If scroll-to-anchor navigations were broken for WML and required them to
have different loading behavior, then
    // state object loads are certainly also broken for them.
    if (frameContainsWMLContent(m_frame))
        sameDocumentNavigation = false;

(And we overrode frameContainsWMLContent to detect that a frame has our plugin loaded, rather than using the default test.)

So if these are removed we will probably need to add them back in "#if PLATFORM(BLACKBERRY)" guards.