[webkit-dev] New Rich Text Editing Test suite

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Sep 30 18:27:52 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Roland Steiner
<rolandsteiner at chromium.org>wrote:

> As a lot of folks here can probably attest to (Hi, Ryosuke! ;) ), the
> current state of rich text editing amongst various browsers is not ideal.
> WebKit is better than most, but still not perfect, either.

Hi, Roland!

In order to document this and provide a general overview of what works, what
> plain doesn't, and what is incompatible, we are currently setting up a new
> rich text editing test suite as part of the larger browserscope (
> http://www.browserscope.org) framework. It is largely an extension and
> generalization of the already existing "RichText" suite there. At the moment
> we mainly focus on "contentEditable" and related functionalities in
> JavaScript (i.e., execCommand(), queryCommandValue(), etc.), as well as
> selection, but aim to extend this for user input and IME in the future, if
> at all possible.

This is great.  We probably want to test "typing style" and the equivalents.
 IME might be tricky though.

We hope this test suite will help in identifying the main problem areas (by
> being a handy, friendly, colorful list of bugs), foster discussion about
> different opinions on implementation, and thus in turn drive
> interoperability between browsers. The goal is to reach a common set of
> editing capabilities with well-defined behavior that is (even more) useful
> for web authors.
>
> A beta version can be accessed at
> http://www.browserscope.org/richtext2/test (note that being beta, the
> suite is not yet accessible from the main page at
> http://www.browserscope.org). Please understand that we are still adding
> and cleaning up tests, and details of the presentation. But at even at the
> current, early stage it should give a good idea of the direction of the
> suite. Indeed, as achieving consensus on the tests contained in the suite is
> meant to be a community effort, it is bound to change and being extended
> over time, as it solidifies based on contributions from all sides.

Great.  I'm getting get 500 on the results page but is this because it's
still beta?

Best,
Ryosuke