[webkit-dev] Path::createEllipse() - why not leverage port paths?

Andreas Kling andreas.kling at nokia.com
Sat Sep 18 20:11:32 PDT 2010

Hey folks,

Is there a reason we're manually creating the ellipses in
Path::createEllipse() instead of using the port-specific Path::addEllipse()?

For the SVG version of the benchmark at
http://www.themaninblue.com/writing/perspective/2010/03/22/ we're
spending roughly 25% of runtime in Path::createEllipse(), whereas if I
let it use Qt's Path::addEllipse() it drops to 2.5%.

(Qt is also much better at rendering the paths generated by
QPainterPath::addEllipse() instead of the 100x LineTo paths from
Path::createEllipse - time spent filling paths goes down from 30% to 25%.)

All in all, these are 15 additional FPS that I'd love to get if
possible. So lay it on me :-)

Curiously yours,
-Kling