[webkit-dev] Fwd: Fwd: HTML5 & MathML3 entities

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Fri Sep 17 13:12:44 PDT 2010

17.09.2010, в 12:49, Alexey Proskuryakov написал(а):

> math fonts in uniocde layout typically use the opposite choice for the old character, and math renderers (including if I remember correctly mozilla's original mathml support) that map unicode slots to "legacy" 8 bit math font encodings (eg the TeX or mathematica fonts) also rendered these things to match the math operators.

I'd say that this was a misuse of the character point, and thus a bug in the font. Unicode fonts aren't supposed to use glyphs with different meanings in the same code points (although some may claim that CJK unification crosses the border in that respect).

> So given, as you say, that some change was inevitable, taking the math choice is I still think the right one

It just seems that Unicode consortium and W3C basically decided to make opposite choices on this, which was not very helpful. &rang used to be a synonym to U+232A, but now the former is a CJK character, and the latter is a math one. I think that consistency with Unicode consortium's choice is an important consideration.

But if I understood you correctly, there is a significant amount of MathML documents that use rang/lang, is that accurate? Practical compatibility requirements are more important than potential issues that I cited, at least as long as they remain potential. If I had an example of brokenness, I'd say that HTML content that followed specs outweighs MathML content that violated them.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov