[webkit-dev] Use of Frame by ResourceHandle

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sat Sep 11 02:57:32 PDT 2010

I don't mean to spam this list with design questions, but I'm trying
to wrap my mind around how the loader is put together today and how
we'd like it to be put together in the future.

There's a FIXME in ResourceHandle that says that ResourceHandle
shouldn't depend on Frame.  (For those who aren't familiar with the
loader, ResourceHandle is the primary platform abstraction WebCore
uses to communicate with the network.)  This makes sense to me for two
reasons:

1) ResourceHandle is in WebCore/platform/network and therefore isn't
allowed to depend on parts of WebCore outside the platform directory.
2) There are a number of types of network requests that are not
associated with frames (e.g., XMLHttpRequests from WebWorkers,
PingLoader, etc).

Do we still believe this FIXME is accurate?  If so, I have some time
next week to look at removing the dependency.  There's a patch that
either recently landed or is about to land that furthers the use of
Frame by ResourceHandle, so I wanted to check with folks more broadly
about whether this is the right direction.  (Note that I haven't
studied the code yet, so I'm not sure what would be required to remove
the dependency.)

Adam