[webkit-dev] Script programming language: Perl, Python, or Ruby?

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Wed Sep 1 23:38:12 PDT 2010

I suspect that Maciej is right and whatever speedup we would see would
be inconsequential. It's still a slightly cleaner design to not have
to shell out to Ruby from Python, jumping from one scripting language
to another. The deadlocking issue is a serious issue, blocking us from
increasing our usage of new-run-webkit-tests, but simply porting
PrettyPatch isn't going to fix it (for the record, I am actively
working on fixing the deadlocking issue).

But until we can put a stake into old-run-webkit-tests, we can't
delete the ruby version anyway (well, I guess we could shell out from
Perl to Python, but that would be only slightly less goofy).

-- Dirk