[webkit-dev] webkit-patch land on Windows and line endings in ChangeLogs

Kenneth Russell kbr at google.com
Fri Oct 22 11:02:49 PDT 2010

Does anyone use "webkit-patch land" on Windows under Cygwin? While
checking in some test expectations recently I tried to use it, but
found that it wouldn't parse the ChangeLogs successfully. The problem
appears to be that WebKit coding practice is to not set svn:eol-style
on checked in text files, causing the ChangeLogs to be checked out
locally with utf-8 encoding but DOS line endings. Each line read from
the ChangeLog via Python's readline() then contains an extra CR at the
end of each string, and ChangeLog.date_line_regexp
(WebKitTools/Scripts/webkitpy/common/checkout/changelog.py) doesn't
match, because the ">" at the end of the email is supposed to be
followed by end of string. Instead there is an extra CR there. Even if
the regexp were modified, I think the processed ChangeLog would be
broken; some lines would contain CRs and some would not.

I think that one way to solve this problem would be to set
svn:eol-style to LF for all of the ChangeLogs in the workspace. Does
anyone have any comments on whether this would be a good or bad idea?

Or is my Cygwin setup misconfigured somehow? All of my mount points use binmode.

-Ken