[webkit-dev] Supporting css ime-mode property

James Su james.su at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 16:56:20 PDT 2010

2010/10/5 Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org>

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM, James Su <james.su at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Though this property is useful in some situation, it's very confusing
>> regarding to its real purpose. If I understand correctly, this property is
>> mostly used for restricting the input character set of an input box.
>>

> Not quite.  This property is used to assist users typing in the correct IME
> mode.  For example, when a CJK user types in names, he/she wants to type in
> characters as supposed to Latin alphabets so the user needs to active IME
> manually.  But websites can assist him/her by enabling IME automatically in
> such an input element.

The ime-mode property is also very problematic for this purpose:
1. Activating/deactivating the IME is a very special concept only available
on Windows, and may not suitable for other platforms.
2. "disabled" makes no sense for this purpose.
3. IMO, it's more like a hint instead of a mandatory restriction. The user
should have right to override it.

So for this purpose, I still think having an explicit attribute to hint the
desired character set of an input element is better than ime-mode solution.
So that the UA can decide the proper action for it.