[webkit-dev] Fwd: Supporting css ime-mode property

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Oct 5 02:30:27 PDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ryosuke Niwa <ryosuke.niwa at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:29 AM
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Supporting css ime-mode property
To: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org>
Cc: Kenichi Ishibashi <bashi at google.com>, webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org

+1 for implementing this feature.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> I still think that this feature would be actively harmful - even native
> applications that only target one platform often get IME wrong - there is no
> chance a web app would do it right on all major platforms. Sticking with
> platform default behavior is best.

I highly doubt that people will misuse ime-mode because whether or not IME
should be active is usually obvious from the context (e.g. username &
password, telephone number, etc...).  And I've never felt that there was
platform-specific difference in whether or not IME should be enabled /
disabled (I actively use Chinese & Japanese IMEs on Mac & Windows).

Of course, I do agree that website shouldn't be controlling IME composition
since I've never seen a single native app that controls IME composition
correctly.  But activating and deactivating IME seems simple enough.  It's
really problematic that this kind of control isn't available to the Web
right now because some (if not majority of) users don't even know how to
activate/deactivate IME.

- Ryosuke