[webkit-dev] HTML5 & Web Links (RFC 5988)

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Nov 11 09:19:51 PST 2010

On 11.11.2010 18:06, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> 11.11.2010, в 00:59, Julian Reschke написал(а):
>
>> - once you start supporting the "title" attribute you might want to consider sharing code with Content-Disposition for processing I18Nized titles (see related Chromium change feature request and change list at<https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=57830>).
>
> As far as the Chromium request goes, please consider feature parity with Safari. We've supported non-ASCII file names in Content-Disposition for a while now, and judging by the lack of bug reports, our approach[*] is sufficient for Web compatibility. The only issue I know is with GMail, which blocks Safari server-side, replacing non-ASCII characters with question marks.

Do you have information on how frequently it's used?

Judging from

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-03.html#rfc.section.C.4>

it's not supported in IE, Opera, and Konqueror, so it's definitively not
interoperable today (besides, it conflicts with the existing definitions
for the header).

> Having two sources of file name information in HTTP headers sounds like a very weird idea to me.>

It's the format that has been an IETF standard for a VERY long time.

If you have concerns with this format then you *really* should raise
them in the IETF HTTPbis WG, which is revising the spec for
Content-Disposition, and plans to submit it for publication soon (it's
already past IETF Working Group Last Call).

Best regards, Julian