[webkit-dev] Size Of Ruby Text?

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Wed Nov 3 11:56:53 PDT 2010

WebKit enforces a minimum font size of 9px when no explicit font size is specified.  This means that the font for <rt> cannot fall below 9px if it is relative to the user agent default.  It may be that we want to consider modifying this minimum for ruby text and allow it to go below 9px though.  I'm not sure.

If you make a really big Ruby (e.g., <ruby style="font-size:96px"> and then modify the font-size percentage on the <rt>, you should be able to see it take effect.

We should probably just study real-world Japanese examples to see how small Ruby typically is allowed to get.  If it can go below 9px and still be readable, we should perhaps consider allowing that.

In terms of excluding Ruby text from the overall line height, I don't think the font-size of the <rt> is particularly relevant.  You just want to hack the Ruby to turn the ruby text into overflow rather than having it be part of the overall height of the inline-block.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)