[webkit-dev] Table rendering and colspans

Fady Samuel fsamuel at google.com
Thu May 27 12:16:03 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have a quick question (*crosses fingers*) about colspans in webkit. I've
attached a simple example, t8_simple. In this example, we have two rows. One
with one cell with a colspan of 5, and the other has two cells, the first
having a colspan of 1, and the second having a colspan of 3. Thus, we have
an "empty" slot in the in grid on the second row. In webkit, this introduces
an extra gap at the end of the second row corresponding to the cell spacing
between the second cell and the "empty" cell. This gap does not appear on
Firefox or Opera.

I've found yet another inconsistency (see attached t9_simple). As you
increase colspan on the first cell, in webkit the gap in the second row
grows by a pixel or two. Firefox remains unchanged. In Opera, the whole
table width increases. What is the "correct" behavior?

I'm currently reworking chunks of the table rendering code for performance
reasons so it would be nice to know if these are legitimate table rendering
bugs that should be ironed out or the current webkit behavior is good.

Thanks,

Fady Samuel