[webkit-dev] More webkit-patch requests

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Fri May 21 20:55:08 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> I’d like webkit-patch to assign new bugs it creates to me. It’s hard for me to find these machine-filed bugs when they aren’t assigned.

Sure.  No problem.  One option I use occasionally is --open-bug, which
opens the bug in the browser after uploading your patch.

> It would also be nice if I could grab assignment of existing bugs when uploading a patch to them. This hasn’t come up for me yet in practice but used to be something I’d do when attaching a patch by hand.

Ok.

> What’s the difference between the "post" and "upload" commands? I haven’t been able to figure that out.

Originally, we weren't sure whether folks would prefer an "all sing,
all dance" command like upload, or whether they'd prefer to "prepare"
their patches and then "post" them in two separate steps.  For
example, Maciej thought you might not like the spring-loaded feeling
of editing the ChangeLog knowing that the tools was about to send the
patch to bugs.webkit.org.

I don't have any usage data, but I'd expect that almost no one uses
prepare and that few people use post.  We can just remove them (or
make them hidden).

> I sometimes write change logs with prepare-ChangeLog. It would be better if webkit-patch unpload would add a bug number line to existing change logs.

We've gotten this request a few times.  It should be pretty easy to
do.  The only trick is figuring out the best point in the ChangeLog to
add the bug link.  Also, would you like the tool to pull down the bug
title like it does if you don't have a ChangeLog yet?

Adam