[webkit-dev] Ancient patches in pending-review

David Levin levin at google.com
Thu May 13 09:41:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> One of the least fun things in the project is to pour a bunch of
> effort into writing a patch only to see it sit forever waiting for
> review.  In the past, I've tried to single-handedly tackle the patches
> that have been up for review for more than a month.  That approach is
> less than ideal because (1) it's too big a task for one person and (2)
> it causes me to review outside my area.  As we've been discussing on
> #webkit recently, we'd like for reviewers to focus their reviews on
> their area of expertise to make sure each patch gets a high-quality
> review before landing.
>
> I've triaged the oldest patches in http://webkit.org/pending-review
> into groups and assigned an owner (see below).  You don't need to
> review the patches in a group just because I've assigned it to you,
> but if you don't review them, please find someone to look at them.  If
> a patch is unassigned, please consider whether you feel confident
> reviewing patches in that area.
>
> If you're an expert in an area by not necessarily a reviewer yet,
> please consider giving one or more of these patches an "informal"
> review.  An informal review is especially useful if it points out
> areas of a patch that the contributor can improve.  Ideally, an
> informal review would cause the contributor to improve their patch
> before it receives a formal review.  (If you're not a reviewer, please
> don't alter the "Review" flag; just leave a comment.)
>
> Our biggest problem spots appear to be Editing and WINCE.  Below, I've
> asked Enrica to provide informal reviews of the editing patches and
> Ojan to provide the formal reviews.  I've also asked jamesr to provide
> informal reviews for the CSS and Rendering patches because he's
> expressed interest in learning Hyatt's secret tricks.
>
> As for WINCE, are there any reviewers interested in reviewing patches
> for that port?
>
> Adam
>

> Editing (Enrica, Ojan)

Unfortunately, Enrica is not a reviewer yet and can't be (56 patches) but
was been willing to look at a patch when I asked.

It may be a good opportunity to do some reviews as if they were real before
being nominated to be a reviewer (which I find very to be nice to submit
with a reviewer nomination).

> * 24943: Command-B and Command-I do not generate keydown events in
> contentEditable regions.
> * 35632: htmlediting.cpp : isEmptyTableCell() is incomplete
> * 32605: Regression: Selection anchor + focus swap when arrow keys
> after setBaseAndExtent
> * 32077: textarea grows when you type
> * 36359: Double clicking page's last editable inline element doesn't
> select a word.
> * 32123: cursor movement and text selection does not work well if a
> block is followed by an inline
> * 35791: 2x execCommand ReadAV at NULL
> * 35530: Enum value FORWARD, BACKWARD, RIGHT, LEFT are causing macro
> conflicts.
>
> WINCE (???) - Do we have any WINCE reviewers?
> * 34953: Implement DEFINE_STUB_FUNCTION for WinCE
> * 33004: NetworkStateNotifierWin.cpp doesn't work always
> * 32169: Implement TextCodec for WINCE port
> * 37287: Rename Wince file to WinCE
> * 32963: buildfix for ResourceHandleWin.cpp
> * 37440: [WINCE] Port tiled backing store
> * 28272: WINCE PORT: graphics files only for WINCE
>
> DOM (Depends on area...)
> * 34945: Improve form validation messages.
> * 31718: Framework to show form validation message for invalid controls

* 37012: dropEffect not set to correct default values in dragenter /
> dragover

I think JianLi has been doing work in drag/drop.

> * 37117: Add platform-independent JPEG/PNG image encoders and toDataURL

* 22261: Clicking button input does not give it focus

> CSS (dhyatt, dethbakin, jamesr)
> * 32412: css2:order of counters in out-of flow content
> * 32309: noAccess url schemes block access to inline stylesheets
> * 13097: Unsupported content:inherit value
> * 37443: CSSStyleSelector should pass through origin information when
> determined if link visited
>
> Rendering (dhyatt, jamesr)
> * 15994: REGRESSION: Incomplete repaint of CSS image substitution
> * 23556: On RTL pages, horizontal scrollbar is missing
>
> JavaScriptCore (gbarra, ggaren, olliej)
> * 36050: Add the possibility for a head and footer section to
> create_jit_stubs
> * 36500: Generated JIT stubs does not compile because of compiler
> directives
>
> Websocket (dave_levin?)
> * 35573: WebSocket add new event: CloseEvent

I think ap is much more familiar with WebSockets -- though I am willing to
look if needed.