[webkit-dev] Yet another bug-less change hosed the tree.

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue May 11 11:25:51 PDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> 11.05.2010, в 0:56, Maciej Stachowiak написал(а):
>
>> I do think making it capable of handling subdirectories would be an
>> improvement for SVN users. Also, I suspect it doesn't work as well
>> as it could for people who prefer to edit ChangeLogs in a non-
>> command-line editor, and for people who are very much in the habit
>> of running prepare-ChangeLog before they even think about uploading
>> a patch. Even with those limitations, I personally find it very
>> useful, and I am a grumpy curmudgeon about tools.
>
> FWIW, I'm unwilling to use a command line tool to deal with
> Bugzilla, no matter how refined. I don't work on a browser engine to
> run away from the experience it provides.
>
> It would be interesting to know if I'm alone in feeling this way.

I like the command-line tool as a way to upload patches for two basic
reasons:

1) The bugzilla Web-based process for filing a bug and uploading a
patch sucks. Too many steps and too many fields to fill in. We could
definitely streamline this if we cared to.

2) It requires a command-line tool to create a patch in the first
place. Thus, no matter how much we streamline the Web experience for
uploading a patch, using it will result in an extra step. I don't
foresee the Web interface being able to create a patch in the
foreseeable future.

I do use the bugzilla Web interface for commenting on bugs, reading
patches, reviewing patches, etc.

Regards,
Maciej