[webkit-dev] Announcing WebKit2

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 12:21:30 PDT 2010

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:40:14 +0530
> From: nayankk at gmail.com
> To: ggaren at apple.com
> CC: webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org
> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Announcing WebKit2
>
> Hi,
> What's the status of Webkit2? I've built the latest webkit version on
> Windows with --webkit2 option and I see that there is only one process
> shown in Task Manager irrespective of the number of Windows that I
> open.
>
> Reagrds,
> Nayan.
>
> On 4/13/10, Geoffrey Garen  wrote:
>>> Will I be able to adjust process priorities to keep all processes of a
>>> certain MIME type (say application/x-shockwave-flash) to receive no more
>>> than 15% cpu time or monitor its memory usage?
>>
>> All process management is behind the API layer, the goal being to shield app
>> developers from the details of process management. I'm not sure how you'd
>> control the details of process management.

This came up before in the context of security but resource allocation
should be given some thought. I'm not always sure if the people who
design web pages and serve thid party items care about the user's CPU. When we did java ads, this
was a big deal but today it isn't hard to open a window or two and have all resources
used doing stuff unrelated to browsing. Memory, CPU, and IO allocation
should have some means for monitor if not control. Presonally I wouldn't mind a file
in /etc/webkit to control this and other stuff. If you are making an alternative
to IE, it may be helpful to remember all the things you don't like about IE and
the importance of features in these other environments..