[webkit-dev] Audio directory layout

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Mar 30 17:31:18 PDT 2010

On Mar 30, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> The platform directory contains a lot more than just platform-specific files. It's the platform upon which WebCore is built. For example, KURL is in platform even though it's shared by all the ports. I think the main consideration for whether to put things in platform relate to the dependencies. For example, platform doesn't depend on the rest of WebCore.

That’s right.

The WebCore/platform directory’s name is a bit of a pun. It contains the platform abstraction, exposing things present in the underlying operating system such as a way to find out about events and screen sizes and such, and also contains other basics that provide a “platform” for the rest of WebCore code, without dependencies on that code. It can be though of as a largely-separate lower level module within WebCore.

The platform directory does not contain all platform-specific files. Nor should it. Directories such as WebCore/loader and WebCore/plugins contain platform-specific subdirectories as needed.

> As for whether audio should be a top-level concept, that might make sense. It seems similar to notifications and storage, which are top-level concepts.

Code that is specifically about how the web models audio, and not how that is integrated with the underlying audio capabilities of the OS, more naturally would go somewhere outside the platform directory. A top level directory named audio might be confusing since HTMLAudioElement would not be in there.

    -- Darin