[webkit-dev] gdb 7.0 [Re: Questions regarding memory debugging]

Evan Martin evan at chromium.org
Wed Mar 10 08:47:57 PST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Holger Freyther <zecke at selfish.org> wrote:
> Zoltan has mentioned gdb on irc and I started to wonder how far we can get
> with GDB's python support in 7.0. Maybe we could create a set of scripts to
> track lifetime using GDB? I'm going to explore this option maybe later today
> but within this week.

On the subject of GDB, we have been hacking some GDB 7.0 Python for
printing WebCore types.

See this file:
  http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/tools/gdb/webkit.py?view=markup
This makes it so GDB can natively print types like
WebCore::AtomicString or WebCore::QualifiedName, including when they
are arguments to the function you've just broken into.  I find myself
now casting other UTF-16 strings (like, those used by Harfbuzz) into
UChar* when using GDB so it can print those types too.

I guess this file should probably live in the WebCore tree somewhere.
I hadn't gotten around to it because I wasn't sure where it belonged.
If anyone has a good idea where it should go I'll commit it.