[webkit-dev] Interpreting "LEAK:" on Shutdown

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Tue Jun 22 10:06:25 PDT 2010

Hi Alex.

> I looked at this document on the wiki:
>
>   http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/Memory%20Use
>
> and I'm curious about how to interpret the output on the console when
> running via Safari.  For example, here's one output when I just
> quit with windows open:
>
>   LEAK: 2 WebCoreNode
>   LEAK: 29 CachedResource

Those messages indicate that some objects were not deleted before shutdown.

Ensuring that all known references are released before shutdown, and then verifying that all objects are deleted, is an aid to debugging memory leaks. But the mechanism to ensure that all known references are released before shutdown seems to have bit-rotted a bit. Maybe you can fix it.

Best,
Geoff