[webkit-dev] strategy for evaluating performance issues related to memory.

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:59:09 PDT 2010

________________________________
> From: jorlow at chromium.org
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:41:28 +0100
> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] strategy for evaluating performance issues related to memory.
> To: marchywka at hotmail.com
> CC: webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org
>
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Mike Marchywka> wrote:
>

>> Unless you're actively working on this problem within WebKit, these emails seem out of scope for webkit-dev.
>

> The topic addresses this doesn't it? I would think that outlining a development strategy would be "actively working."
>
> I don't expect to dig into the code right now beyond what I have already done but if I could figure out
>
> what to do I might be able to make more specific contributions later.
>
> If you're not contributing code and you don't have people interested in following your lead, then no I don't think this is the applicable list. I'm not aware of any WebKit contributor that's twiddling their thumbs trying to find something to work on.
>
> Maybe this topic will rise to the top of a contributors priority queue at some point, in which case I could see a discussion being on topic and useful.

I was hardly worried about who does anything as much as what would make sense to do. I have interest, motivation,
and multiple copies of the code but not a lot of time to waste of bad approaches. There was a prior discussion
about coding conventions that should be applicable even to those contemplating a contribution of just browsing
the code, I fail to see how this discussion is less relevant to current and possible future development concerns.

If there was some piece of this or a related effort that could be aided by certain code features that
would seem to be of interest to everyone and it isn't clear which people would have important thoughts
to contribute ( or I would take it some other place).

So I take it that now you just have factories and smart pointers and just make stuff and have it
allocated wherever without further thought?  I guess I could do some profiling my self and empirically
find problems and just assume that no one has specific comments on suspects or things they have observed
as possible problems.