[webkit-dev] strategy for evaluating performance issues related to memory.

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Mon Jun 21 10:22:19 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com>wrote:

> So where does this stand right now? I hope to actually contribute at some
> point.
> but right now  I'm just trying to determine approaches to even finding the
> problems.
> ( and yes my disk light still comes on for minutes at a time locking me out
> of doing antyhing
> with iceweasel or firefox)

Yes, you've mentioned your disk light blinking several times now.  If you
have specific bugs to file against specific projects, I suggest you do that.
 Repeatedly posting about it on webkit-dev (until now, in unrelated threads)
doesn't seem particularly useful.

I guess at a gross level it would be nice to know when and why page faults
> occur
> but a more pro-active approach would be to start understanding the memory
> needs during design or code examination for other reasons. If there is
> nothing
> better, perhaps people could put in formatted comments about memory needs
> and access patterns and various parameters or issues or assumptions that
> in the code. I haven't entirely thought this through  (duh) and hope to
> stimulate
> a discussion ( actually I'd be happy if someone had a one line answer or
> link
> to an answer but am not that opitmistic).
>
> I would approach this as an  addition to finding memory leaks but maybe the
> worst offenders will go away if there is less clutter.

This is all fairly hand-wavy.  If you have specific problems you've seen,
please file bugs.  If you want to spend some time investigating these
issues, great.  But I don't understand why you keep bringing this up.
 Especially since, as far as I can tell, it only involves situations where
WebKit memory is spilling to virtual memory which, AFAIK, is not something
anyone has spent time optimizing.

Unless you're actively working on this problem within WebKit, these emails
seem out of scope for webkit-dev.

Thanks.