[webkit-dev] On adding 'console.memory' API (and about the whole 'console' object.)

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Fri Jun 4 12:02:20 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Sam Weinig <sam.weinig at gmail.com> wrote:

> After talking it over with some folks here at Apple, I want to formally
> object to adding the Console.memory extension to the Console object and I
> think we should remove support for Console.profiles as soon as we can.  They
> both provide information to users that are not generally useful (beyond the
> "continuous integration/buildbot" use-case which I think is of limited
> utility) and therefore should not be exposed to the web.

Why is the continuous integration/buildbot use-case of limited utility? Or
are you saying that Console.memory doesn't really support that use-case
well? I think we want to make it as easy as possible for complex apps (e.g.
email apps, mapping apps, etc.) to care about and monitor memory use.

While I'm not convinced by the utility argument, I do buy the security
argument. How would you feel about leaving the code in, but disabling it by
default? Then it could be enabled by command-line or via a preference.

That said, I'm OK with rolling back for now given that the code was
committed without this discussion actually coming to a conclusion.

Ojan