[webkit-dev] WebAccessibilityRole must match AccessiblityRole enums?

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Fri Jun 4 11:04:21 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Chris Fleizach <cfleizach at apple.com> wrote:

> For one, I would like to alphabetize that list. That will require hundreds
> of changes, requiring me to make hundreds of blind changes in chromium code.
>
> When ARIA2 comes out, mayhaps there will be a dozen or two new additions.

OK, but each of those seems like one change that touches multiple lines, not
dozens or hundreds of separate changes that will each individually cause a
separate problem.  Alphabetize, see compile failure, alphabetize the other
list.

I don't have a proposal for a better API.  One of the primary purposes of
Chromium's WebKit API layer is to firewall WebKit types, so a replacement
design would have to be able to compile without referencing any WebKit
headers, which seems like it precludes something that automatically tracks
WebKit-side changes.  Even Darin's mention of switch-based translations
would still require you to at least make changes for new and modified enum
values (though it would avoid problems due to simple reordering of the
enums; but if you're going to reorder once, that costs rather than saves
effort).

If it's any consolation, I'm sure any of us Chromium folk would be happy to
help make any Chromium-side changes necessary, if there's anything we can do
to help.  And if I've missed a good replacement design, we're certainly open
to implementing different things in principle.

PK