[webkit-dev] Web SQL Database API - openDatabaseSync

Evan Ireland eireland at sybase.com
Thu Jul 8 14:58:37 PDT 2010

Dmitry,

The asynchronous API makes composition much more difficult. Like if we
generate code that wraps the database API into business objects, all the
business object methods need to accept callback parameters.

Suppose I want to show an employee together with their department name, I
could write:

function formatEmployee(e)
{
    return e.getName() + ", " + e.getDepartment().getName();
}
alert(formatEmployee(Employee.find(123));

Forgive my using "alert", just for the purpose of example.

Now suppose that e.getDepartment() call (child to parent navigation) needs
to be asynchronous due to lazy loading.

Now I need something like:

function formatEmployee(e, success, failure)
{
    e.getDepartment
    (
        function(d)
        {
            success(e.getName() + ", " + d.getName());
        },
        failure
    );
}
Employee.find
(
    123,
    function(e)
    {
        formatEmployee
        (
            e,
            function(s) { alert(s); },
            function() { /* ignore failure */ }
        )
    },
    function() { /* ignore failure */ }
);

Is soon gets very nasty. I do appreciate how to program in a
continuation-passing style, which can be easier with good language support
(e.g. Haskell). But just imagine if the '+' operator was asynchronous, how
much more trouble ordinary programming would be.

In any case, I can accept that using synchronous DB API in the UI thread
could be considered undesirable.
Using it from a worker thread however is essential. To get good
composability, I might wish to run business objects in a worker thread using
a synchronous API rather than using an asynchronous API from the UI thread.

I hope this helps to clarify where I am coming from with my questions.