[webkit-dev] Frustrated at inconsiderate behavior

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Jul 7 19:42:06 PDT 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Oliver Hunt wrote:

> webkit-patch land-safely does the job of running the tests automatically, that said if you have commit privileges you should be running the tests yourself otherwise you're wasting the reviewers time.
>
> Pushing a patch through the normal review path will have it built on multiple platforms (though it is annoying that once you get r+ those builders don't run).
>
> The only benefit of the commit-queue (as i see it) is that it will make sure that the patch still applies in the many hours between it being reviewed and it being landed.

You can roll out the patch and work on something else, which might be a benefit to some.

Also, the track record of the commit queue seems to be that people using it are less likely to break the tree in practice. I'm not naturally enthusiastic about the commit queue approach (I like to be around when my patch actually lands), but you can't argue with results. The only remaining downside (in my opinion) is sometimes making people overly frustrated when it's blocked, and occasionally leading to inelegant fixes for tree redness.

> My opinion is that if people want to use the commit-queue to land patches they should be happy to drop their commit privileges thus mooting this entire issue.

That would probably make things worse on net, since the commit queue would then not mark the person as the committer in SVN.

Personally, I don't think we need to either mandate or discourage use of the commit queue at this time.

Regards,
Maciej