[webkit-dev] Frustrated at inconsiderate behavior

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Wed Jul 7 19:32:27 PDT 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 7:26 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:
>
> On Jul 7, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Tony Gentilcore wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Mo, Zhenyao <zhenyao at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe I should complain this in a different threads, but recently the commit bot waiting time is way too long.  Several times a patch of mine got the r+ and cq+ and it landed two days later.  This is really frustrating.
>>
>> I am very tempted to use svn directly to commit patches, but that means the patch only gets tested in my local environments. Like one time my patch breaks the leopard bot, turns out the failed test is skipped on leopard, which is exactly my OS.  If I land it through the commit bots, I could identify the issue earlier.
>>
>> I agree they are closely related. A greener tree means a faster commit queue and a faster commit queue means less people subvert it and break the tree. The hard problem is figuring out how to fix the incentives so subverting the queue isn't so desirable.
>
> What do you mean by subvert the queue?  The commit queue is a tool to streamline commits from contributors who do not have commit access to the repository.  If you have the ability to commit you should not be using the commit queue to land your patches.
>
> That is the opinion of a few contributors, yes.  But even when there were some big downsides to committers using the commit queue, there was definitely no definitive direction to not use the queue.  And now that pretty much all the problems with the queue have been systematically eliminated, I would argue that--if anything--we should actually ask everyone to use the queue when practical.

webkit-patch land-safely does the job of running the tests automatically, that said if you have commit privileges you should be running the tests yourself otherwise you're wasting the reviewers time.

Pushing a patch through the normal review path will have it built on multiple platforms (though it is annoying that once you get r+ those builders don't run).

The only benefit of the commit-queue (as i see it) is that it will make sure that the patch still applies in the many hours between it being reviewed and it being landed.

My opinion is that if people want to use the commit-queue to land patches they should be happy to drop their commit privileges thus mooting this entire issue.

--Oliver