[webkit-dev] webkit team wiki page

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sun Jan 24 21:04:25 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Nikolas Zimmermann <
zimmermann at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Am 25.01.2010 um 05:07 schrieb Maciej Stachowiak:
>

>> On Jan 24, 2010, at 7:42 PM, David Kilzer wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, January 24, 2010 at 7:09:26 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> I don't think we're looking to list just reviewers but rather "people who
>>> know about this topic" and therefore might be good to ask about the topic.
>>> Often you want to know this before you even start working on a patch. Some
>>> types of expert advice are cross-cutting across components as well. For
>>> example, if you want to find a person who can help you with performance
>>> work, or analyze the security impact of a feature, those kinds of things are
>>> not likely to be components.
>>>
>>> And finally, the only fields we have for components are the description,
>>> default assignee and default Cc list. I am not sure any of these is
>>> appropriate as a way to indicate people who know most about the topic, given
>>> our process.
>>>

> Completly agreed. I found those information useful in my past as WebKit
> beginner and I think we should rather update it and/or make it available on
> a more prominent place.

Agreed. I can usually figure out who has been working on particular area
(e.g. CSS, rendering, etc...) by looking at trac or change log, but that
isn't usually sufficient when trying to find an expert. But I also agree
that the old page was outdated. Maybe what we need is a bugzilla page for
each component/expertise that lists contributers and related bugs.

Ryosuke