[webkit-dev] webkit team wiki page

Nikolas Zimmermann zimmermann at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Jan 24 20:15:44 PST 2010

Am 25.01.2010 um 05:07 schrieb Maciej Stachowiak:

> On Jan 24, 2010, at 7:42 PM, David Kilzer wrote:
>
>> On Sun, January 24, 2010 at 7:09:26 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>>> I think deleting the areas of knowledge is a regrettable loss of
>>> information. I
>>> think it's helpful to give people at least a few starting points
>>> for their
>>> questions, because not everyone is going to be comfortable firing
>>> random
>>> questions at IRC, and svn blame i not a very useful tool if you
>>> don't know the
>>> code very well yet. Further, even for experienced contributors, I
>>> think this
>>> information could be useful as a guide to whom you might hassle to
>>> review your
>>> patch, if it doesn't get reviewed right away. I mean, I've been
>>> involved in the
>>> project for a pretty long time, and I can't honestly say I know
>>> the right people
>>> to ask for advice on every possible topic in the code, without a
>>> reference.
>>

>> One possible alternative would be to update the bugs.webkit.org
>> Component page with a list of reviewers by component:
>>
>> <https://bugs.webkit.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=WebKit>
>
> I don't think we're looking to list just reviewers but rather
> "people who know about this topic" and therefore might be good to
> ask about the topic. Often you want to know this before you even
> start working on a patch. Some types of expert advice are cross-
> cutting across components as well. For example, if you want to find
> a person who can help you with performance work, or analyze the
> security impact of a feature, those kinds of things are not likely
> to be components.
>
> And finally, the only fields we have for components are the
> description, default assignee and default Cc list. I am not sure any
> of these is appropriate as a way to indicate people who know most
> about the topic, given our process.

Completly agreed. I found those information useful in my past as
WebKit beginner and I think we should rather update it and/or make it
available on a more prominent place.
Ideally we'd have a view which can give you all information mentioned
in previous threads: sorted by area of expertise / vendor / chronology.

What do others think about it?

Cheers,
Niko