[webkit-dev] IndexedDB API

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Jan 21 23:14:59 PST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 9:53 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> A couple of us at Google are starting to look at implementing the IndexedDB API [1] in WebKit.  We thought a good first step would be to create the IDL files.  The first thing I noticed is that it and the Web SQL Database API [2] have quite a few conflicts in terms of their interface names.  I'm wondering how we can work around this.

It seems like this is something that should be fixed in the IndexedDB spec.

> One idea I had was to just add a prefix to every IndexedDB interface.  Maybe something like IDB?  I'd probably go ahead and give all the indexed database API files a "IDB" prefix just to make it clear which files are connected to that API.  Does this sound good?

Even if you rename the files, having multiple interfaces with the same interface name will still cause problems. I don't think it will even compile. We could do some interim thing but we really need to get the spec fixed.

> Like I said, we're _just_ getting started.  Once we've got the basics down (like the IDL files) we'll probably be writing up a design doc to get feedback on an end-to-end design and/or soliciting more advice on webkit-dev.

Regards,
Maciej