[webkit-dev] IndexedDB API

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Thu Jan 21 21:53:43 PST 2010

A couple of us at Google are starting to look at implementing the IndexedDB
API [1] in WebKit.  We thought a good first step would be to create the IDL
files.  The first thing I noticed is that it and the Web SQL Database API
[2] have quite a few conflicts in terms of their interface names.  I'm
wondering how we can work around this.

One idea I had was to just add a prefix to every IndexedDB interface.  Maybe
something like IDB?  I'd probably go ahead and give all the indexed database
API files a "IDB" prefix just to make it clear which files are connected to
that API.  Does this sound good?

Like I said, we're _just_ getting started.  Once we've got the basics down
(like the IDL files) we'll probably be writing up a design doc to get
feedback on an end-to-end design and/or soliciting more advice on
webkit-dev.

[1]  http://www.w3.org/TR/IndexedDB/
[2]  http://dev.w3.org/html5/webdatabase/