[webkit-dev] Anonymous Rendering Objects in Web Inspector

Dan Bernstein mitz at apple.com
Thu Jan 21 10:43:42 PST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Alex Milowski wrote:

> In my MathML code I often wrap the direct rendering objects for a particular
> element in an anonymous rendering object.  When I inspect these elements
> I get the particular rendering object for the element but between that
> element and the parent's rendering object there are these anonymous
> objects used for layout control.
>
> Is there some way to see these objects when you inspect the element?
>
> Is there another tool I can use to inspect the render object tree?

The Mac OS X version of Safari includes a Show Render Tree command in its internal Debug menu. To enable the Debug menu, use
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu -bool YES

It would be great to add more knowledge of the render tree, including anonymous renderers, to the Web Inspector!