[webkit-dev] questions about allow-tabs

David Kilzer ddkilzer at webkit.org
Thu Jan 14 21:05:47 PST 2010

On Thu, January 14, 2010 at 6:59:17 PM, Chris Jerdonek wrote:
> I have some background questions about the "allow-tabs" property.  I
> imagine it pre-dates check-webkit-style by quite a while.
>
> (1) What's the reason and history behind our use of the property?

The allow-tabs property (and the svn commit pre-hook) are the ultimate in style enforcement.  The project didn't want tabs in source files (or ChangeLog files) committed accidentally, so any file with tabs needs the special allow-tabs svn property set.

> (2) What component actually does the pre-commit check?  I didn't find
> a reference to "allow-tabs" in WebKitTools/, but maybe I searched
> incorrectly.

It's on the server itself.  I don't think it's available from the repository.

> (3) Roughly speaking, how many and what types of files have the property set?

Mostly test files and (potentially) legacy source files are the only ones with the property set.

> (4) Are there any issues to be aware of with it when using a Git
> repository for development?

No, just that you won't be able to use "git svn dcommit" when committing new files with tabs (or adding tabs to existing files).

> While I'm asking, I might as well also ask -- what other subversion
> properties do we use?

In the past, svn:eol-style has been applied so that when files are checked out on Windows, they have the proper line endings.  There is also a concerted effort to keep svn:mime-type set correctly on *-expected.png results for pixel tests committed via git.

Dave