[webkit-dev] The tree is on fire: a tragedy of the commons

Chris Jerdonek cjerdonek at webkit.org
Fri Feb 26 09:39:17 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> 2) Require pre-commit vetting of patches.  We have the resources to
>
> Here's how I would design the life and times of a patch:
>
> 1) Contributor uploads patch and nominates it for review.
> 2) Patch vetted by the EWS on numerous platforms.
> 3) If the EWS finds a problem, return to step 1.
> 4) Reviewer marks patch review+.

It seems like this would preclude serial patches from getting reviewed together.

If I break a larger patch into smaller pieces for the benefit of the
reviewer (so that the second piece depends on the first getting
committed, etc), it seems like this process would mean that the second
piece can't get reviewed until the first piece is committed.

It seems like the committer should be allowed to decide when (2) and
(3) happen relative to the other steps -- provided it happens some
time before landing.

--Chris