[webkit-dev] Moving source code to Sources

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Dec 24 22:38:50 PST 2010

On Dec 24, 2010, at 2:13 AM, Adam Barth wrote:

> I've started the process of moving the source code to a Sources
> directory.  So far, I've moved JavaScriptGlue, which is a small
> project used by the Mac build.  I'll be moving the rest of the
> projects, as discussed.  Moving the code to Sources will let us break
> out various components, such as WTF and Platform, into their own
> projects.
>
> I'm somewhat unsure what affect these changes will have on folks who
> have outstanding patches.  Git seems to be smart enough to move your
> patch to the new location, but I haven't tested SVN.  It's likely
> patches in bugs.webkit.org will need to be moved somewhat manually.
> Generally speaking, editing the patch files to perform the merge is
> pretty easy.  You just replace all instances of "JavaScriptGlue" in
> the diff headers with "Sources/JavaScriptGlue" (or whathaveyou).
>
> I'll send out emails as I move the projects that are under more active
> development.  (If you have any outstanding patches to JavaScriptGlue,
> sorry if I broke your patch without warning.)  Hopefully we'll be able
> to get most of this work done while folks are away for the holidays.

I did some testing, and if you have local diffs in your tree against a directory that gets moved to Sources, you will get breakage. You'll end up with source still in the old location, with your local diffs, and a second copy in the new location that won't have your local diffs. Hopefully we can make scripts to mitigate this, but if not, it's important for every to make sure they don't have any outstanding local diffs in an SVN checkout before the big move.

Regards,
Maciej